background

Friday, November 30, 2012

Surviving the terrible two's!

I haven't posted in over a month and earlier today I was trying to figure out why.  We have been busy with school, basketball and dance but it's not much different than any other time.  Then the reason hit me.  Literally, it was a smack to my face as I was carrying a screaming two year old in the house from the van.  Miss Aubrey did not want to come home from our errands and now that she is officially two she busted out one of her crazy tantrums.  I am pretty sure that if my neighbors would have been home instead of at work they would have thought that I was killing her the screaming was so loud.  Sigh.

The terrible two's was one of those things that as a new parent I was warned by everyone about.  However, my oldest Dawson was and still is rather easy.  He listened to me, even at a young age, to what I said.  He would get frustrated, yell and cry but it wasn't anything that I couldn't handle.  I really thought as we coasted through the two's that I was a pretty darn awesome mom.  Then Emma hit the two's.  It was striking the difference between Emma and Dawson.  Emma never took what I said to be true.  She had to figure everything out on her own.  We struggled with her mastering all the baby proof items in the house and getting into everything.  She threw tantrums but we did survive.  There were many days that I thought that we would never make it to kindergarten but time marched on and here we are.  Emma is in kindergarten and doing so well.  She is great at school and she has matured noticeably since August. 

One of the many lessons that I learned from parenting Emma was that it is easy to parent and easy child.  Aubrey has since reaffirmed this lesson.  Aubrey has been the most difficult of the three kiddos for me.  She has struggled the most at realizing the whole world does not revolve around her.  That she can't get whatever she wants whenever she wants it.  She is an emotional child which means that when she is happy she is a blast to be around.  Her dimples are adorable.  Her laughter is contagious and her language skills are amazing.  When she is upset though...oh my goodness.  She screams, yells, hits, kicks, and throws whenever happens to be near her on the floor.  She has even started saying how she hates things!  I have no idea where she got that from.  I have come to dread bed time and we have unscrewed the light bulbs in her room so that she will quit turning on her light and playing when she is supposed to be sleeping.  She is just as curious as Emma is so we have to be watchful of Aubrey at every moment or I will end up with my make up all over my bathroom, shampoo squeezed out all in the bath or markers colored all over her face and tummy. 

In the last month or so I have worried, cried, yelled and pleaded with my mom friends to tell me that I am not alone.

I am not alone!  There are other mothers out there trying to survive the day with their own two year old.  It is so easy to forget that though.  My world can feel so small with just me at home with my Aubrey.  We will survive and Aubrey will make it to kindergarten.  If I keep saying it that will make it happen right? I am sure that there will be more crying, worrying and even yelling.  I have become more of a yeller than I ever imagined I would be as a parent.  Know that I am trying my best to get Aubrey where she needs to be.  We will get there eventually.  If you happen to see us at the store and Aubrey is screaming and has just chucked her snack across the store (yep, that actually happened at Old Navy) please don't judge us too harshly.  We are just trying to survive the terrible two's.

No comments:

Post a Comment