background

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

In the swing of school

It has been almost a month since Dawson and Emma began school and I think that we are officially in the swing of the new school year.  We have all gotten into the routine of getting up and around in the morning and outside in time for the bus.  The kids seem to really enjoy riding the bus this year.  Dan and I love it because it saves a lot gas money and an hour out of my day that I was spending taking kids to and from school.  They have assigned seats on the bus and Dawson lucked out and is sitting next to a boy in his class.  Emma, of course, can make friends with anyone and she is usually ready to go in the morning 15 minutes before it is actually time to go wait outside.  The bus ride is just extra time for her to socialize!

Dawson has been busy with football this fall.  Dan and I have tried to keep the kids in one activity per child to cut back on all the busy nights and running around.  I was worried that Dawson would be upset when we told him he had to choose between football or soccer but he didn't even hesitate.  Football it was.  Dan has been able to help out coaching the football team that is made up of 1st and 2nd grade boys.  Dawson has had a blast at the practices and then at his first game this past Saturday.  Dawson is such an intense player.  He wants to do everything just like his coaches tell him too.  He get frustrated and is a little hard on himself when things don't go as he planned.  He missed a pass on Saturday and you could just see his frustration.  Dawson has never played flag football before so it wasn't until the end of the game that he really was able to get the hang of pulling off the flag as the boy runs by.  When he finally pulled his first flag he growled in triumph and threw the flag on the ground.  It was pretty funny and I chuckled with another mom that we might have to talk to Dawson about excessive celebration.  Dawson did pick up the flag after he threw it and handed it back to the boy nicely.  He was just all pumped up about his small victory.

Here is Coach Dan on the sidelines.


Dawson getting ready to line up on defense.

While we have been keeping busy with Dawson and football Emma has been patiently waiting for dance to start.  She finally had her first dance class last night.  She was so excited to go.  As soon as she got off the bus she put on her dance leotard and asked me if it was time to go yet.  I think that this will be another activity that will be right up Emma's alley.  She gets to be creative through dance and gets to be social with lots of other little girls her age.  Emma will not be doing anymore sports this year since she chose to do dance, trying to keep with the one activity at a time.  This is probably just as well because this summer she said the tball was for LOSERS while holding a big L on her forehead.  Yeah, tball was not for Emma.

The kids have also started going to Wednesday night church.  Emma calls it church school and is always all excited to go.  Dawson was not as excited because he is similar to me and likes a lot of down time after a busy day of school.  However, Dan and I really want to make these church youth activities a priority for our family.  The church also provides a meal for the families at a small cost before the Wednesday night activities.  I think that I will be taking them up on this.  With the kids getting off the bus at 4:15pm and church starting at 6pm it can get hard for this momma to get all three kiddos settled and dinner when Dan is gone. 

Aubrey this past month has really had a hard time adjusting to the new daily schedule.  She does not like being left behind and has become clingy and rather whiny.  She is also fully into the 2's stage!  Dan tells me that she is acting similar to how Emma did at this age.  Honestly, I don't remember.  I think that I may have blocked Emma's terrible 2's stage from my memory.  I know that Aubrey and I will pull through though.  MOPS starts soon and I hope that she will be excited to go off to her own "school".  I am trying to have fun with her at home and really selling the fact that it is just Aubrey and Mommy time.  I think that it is all about the spin factor.  No, Aubrey didn't get left behind.  Aubrey gets to spend all day playing with Mommy!

Aubrey all cuddly on the couch after the kids have left for school.




No comments:

Post a Comment