Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dawson's First Day of First Grade

It is time for school!  This year was so much easier then last year.  I think that it was because we all knew what to expect on that first day.  On Monday, we went to school supply drop off night.  Dawson brought all of his school supplies and got to see his teacher, Ms. Benson, again.  The Lewis Central School District has what they call looping.  Some teachers teach the same group of kids for their kindergarten and first grade year.  If you don't want to loop you don't have to or if your child and the teacher aren't a good match you can always opt out.  For our family, though, it has been a great experience.  Ms. Benson is a wonderful and hard working teacher.  God has really blessed us with her.  Anyway, the new excitement for Dawson this year was that they got desks instead of the tables that they had last year.

Here is Dawson by the door to his classroom on supply drop off night.

 Dawson next to his new locker. 

Last night we laid everything out for the first day.  Dawson picked out what he was going to wear.  We packed his lunch for school and then got snack and his light saber for show and tell.  Dawson was the first VIP this year.  The VIP's bring snack on their day and then they get to do show and tell.  Dawson, of course, chose to bring his green light saber and tell everyone about his week at Jedi camp this summer.  I told Dawson that I would make cinnamon rolls for him on his first day so they were prepped and put in the fridge for the morning.  Everyone went to bed and got a good night's sleep.

This morning I woke up at 6:30 am and the kids were still sleeping.  I popped the cinnamon rolls in the oven and headed to the shower.  I was pretty much ready for the day when the kiddos began to wake up around 7 am.  I have to admit that I am not a morning person so usually I just get up when the kids do but this morning went so smoothly that I think that I will make it a habit to try and get up and around before the kids.  We were all ready and out the door on time.  I took a couple of pictures of Dawson by the big tree in our yard.  You always have to have those first day of school photos!

We attempted to do a "faux hawk" but his hair was just a little too short.  He was determined to have his hair that way so you know...pick you battles:)

Since it was the first day we were able to walk Dawson to his classroom.  We got him in and settled.  I made sure that I took a picture of him next to his new desk.  He was so excited that he barely said good bye to me and the girls.  I remember last year crying as I left him because he was just my little buddy and it seemed like he was too young.  Where had the time gone?  This year as I was leaving I felt excited for Dawson.  He loves school, all his teachers and friends.  He told me later that his favorite part of the day was meeting the four new kids in his class.  I miss him when he is gone all day but I know that he is in good hands and that he is having a blast learning and making new friends. 

1 comment:

  1. Go Dawson!! My mom was a looping teacher and mostly loved it! But sometimes you were stuck with a Bad Kid for two years!! Aah!