background

Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Big Move

Saturday morning started much like any other day around here.  The kids watched cartoons, had some pancakes for breakfast and then...I asked them to clean their room.  Oh the horror!  I swear, I hate telling the kids to clean their rooms as much as they hate doing it.  It is constant nagging to quit playing and start cleaning, yelling about the fact that one child isn't cleaning as much as the other child, a million trips to the bathroom, crying, failed attempts to bribe (yes, I am not above bribing my children).  Well, through all that Dawson finally yells in frustration, "I wish I had a room all to myself!"  Dan ended up getting Dawson out of the house and to the store and I stayed home with the girls.  As I was folding laundry I was thinking about Dawson.  He has grown up so much in the past year.  He is no longer our little buddy toddling around the house.  He is a big boy now.  He has big boy toys that he hates having his sister get into.  I thought, he probably really does need his own space now.  At lunch I mentioned it to Dan and he agreed.  The girls were going to move in together and Dawson was getting his own space.  They kids, both Emma and Dawson, were very excited about this new change coming their way.  Actually, Emma said that there was a girls room and a boys room now so I could move in with the girls and Dawson and Dan could share a room together.  I told Emma that I would miss Daddy and she said, "He's only a husband."  :)

In true Westfall form we started moving right after lunch.  We took apart the bunk beds and moved all of Dawson's stuff into Aubrey's room and moved Aubrey's crib and everything in with Emma.  I spent the afternoon organizing and rearranging the two rooms.  Later this week we will paint Dawson's room (he doesn't really care for the pink and green walls) and decorate with Star Wars.  I will be sure to post pictures when it is all done.  I'll admit that I was a little nervous about moving the girls together already.  It had always been the plan that they would share a room but I didn't think that we would do it this early.  I was worried that they might wake each other up, Aubrey still wakes in the night and Emma is such an early riser.  So far so good though.  Aubrey actually seems pretty excited about the change too.  She loves playing with Emma in her new room and I think that she likes that there is someone there with her in the morning.  I was laying in bed this morning and I could hearAubrey talking.  Then, I heard Emma talking to her and soon you could hear giggling and laughing.  As I crept in the room I saw that Emma had climbed in Aubrey's crib and was laying right next to her.  They were just laughing and talking to each other in bed.  I wish that I would have had my camera.  It was a precious moment.  I look forward to hearing lots more giggles come from that room!

I chuckle as I tell you how much Dawson loves being in his own room.  He spent all morning in his room playing with his Lego's and kenex sets which he often didn't play with.  I think that he is relishing the fact that he can create something and nobody is there to break it.  I am happy that we were able to fulfill a need for him.  Although, it does make me a little sad when I look in his room and see that it is a boys room and not a toddler room.  At least he still wants me to pray with him at night, turn on his music and say his bed night saying, "Night, night.  Sleep tight.  Don't let the bed bugs bite.  You better sleep really tight because they really do bite!" 



1 comment:

  1. Heather, I literally cried when I read about the girls, and Emma getting into Aubrey's crib. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete