background

Friday, May 27, 2011

Remembering this week

It has been a week since my friend Karl passed away and I have had a hard time processing his death.  We knew that it was coming.  He had battled almost four years against his cancer.  He and his wife Jennifer both fought so hard.  However, when the time finally came I wasn't ready to say goodbye.

There are memories/images from this past week that I will carry with me always.  I will never forget sitting around Karl's bed with all of my dearest friends eating popcorn with m&m's and talking into the night.  I will always remember what it felt like to hold my dear friend as she cried the day that Karl finally went home to be with the Lord.  I will remember how beautiful it was to me seeing so many of my MOPS friends at the wake and at the funeral supporting our fellow mom.  I got up to speak at the wake, telling everyone my favorite memory of Karl, and I will never, ever forget what Anna looked like sitting in Jennifer's arms.  A precious four year old so heartbroken.  At the funeral, watching Luke spread the white cloth over Karl's casket...

I believe that we will see  God use this for His glory.  I know that, even now, it has drawn me closer to my husband and to my God.  I was reminded of this verse, “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.  When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.  For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."  Isaiah 43:1-3  It was a comfort to me because I know that Jennifer, Anna, Rachel and Luke are God's.  He has called them by name and they are His.  He will not allow them to be overwhelmed or consumed.  For He IS the Lord and their Savior.  What a beautiful promise.

This is a video of the Hundtofte family and talks about Jennifer's bucket list.  Her goal is to raise 1 million dollars for cancer research.  She has also started a foundation called Pray for Gray so that she can help other families who are going through the same struggles that they went through.  This is their website: http://www.prayforgrayfoundation.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment