background

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Top 10 Favorite Books I Read in 2011

I love to read.  I enjoy sewing, scrapbooking, crafting, baking but if I had to choose I would read before all of my other interests.  For me reading is an escape, a way to grow and a time for me to use my imagination (which doesn't get used enough now that I am an adult).  I generally read two types of books.  The first being along the lines of Fantasy/Adventure/Science Fiction.  I mean, I want good battling evil, dragons, elves and time travel!  I don't have much interest in love stories unless one of them is a vampire, werewolf or a dragon rider.  I also really don't want to read a book that is going to make me cry.  The exception to that is Harry Potter and you would have to be dead inside if you didn't at least get a little choked up when Dobby died.  The second type of books that I like to read I would call soul books.  The ones that you chew on for a bit after you are all done.  I enjoy reading something that challenges me to grow as a person.  Now I do read classics but the majority of the books I own fall into those first two categories that I mentioned. 

I have been sick a lot this year which has lead to a lot more book reading.  I think that this year I have read over 100 books.  (Thanks Goodreads for helping me keep track!)  Out of all the books/series that I have read this year here are my top 10 favorites...

10.  Stardust by Neil Gaiman

9.  The Outcasts by John Flanagan

8.  The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (The Heroes of Olympus Series)

7.  Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyer, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas

6.  The Seven Relms Series by Cinda Williams Chima 

5.  Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card

4.  The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

3.  The Help by Kathryn Stockett

2.  Ranger Apprentice Series by John Flanagan

1.  Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

I am not really good at giving a synopsis about books so I won't attempt it here.  My hubby says I am extremely long winded and end up telling too much about the story. So, if you are interested in checking out these books you can look them up on Amazon and see more on what they are about.  They are all wonderful books that I want for my personal library so that I can read them over and over.  Yes, I am one of those people that reads books multiple times:)  Also, if you are a book lover I would encourage you to check out Goodreads.  It is fun to see what your favorite authors and friends are reading!

Finally, here is something that I found and just had to included because it is so true for me:)

1 comment:

  1. I read Ender's Game last year and really loved it. Have you read any of the other Ender books? Ender's Shadow contains many of the same experiences, told from Bean's point of view. I blogged about reading today, too - http://frombetween.squarespace.com/blog/b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l.html.

    ReplyDelete